Me

Me

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Trailbars Recipe

Everyone seems to want to make a homemade trail bar. Here is the recipe but you could mix it up and change the type of fruit or nuts to suit your tastebuds.

2 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup of dates or figs or raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup honey (warmed for 20-30 seconds in microwave to syrup consistency)

Put oats, fruit and cinnamon in food processor, pulse while slowly adding honey until combined (wet and sticky).

Add 2/3 cup of nuts. I used sliced almonds and peanuts. Toast nuts on 325 in oven for 15 minutes to enhance flavor if desired.

Add 1 cup of dried fruits. I used pomegranate juice infused cranberries and a medley of mixed dried fruit.

Stir in the nuts and fruite or pulse a few times to mix.

Squeeze into a ball. Line a 9x9 or 9x12 pan with foil. Spray foil with oil. Press mixture into pan until flat. Freeze in freezer for 20 minutes. Remove, turn over on a cutting board and cut into desired sizes and bag or wrap each bar.

See my snacks from this week's posts for a picture of the final product.

ENJOY!!!!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE! I will have to make these next time I go grocery shopping! YUM! You know how much I love nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could use agave nectar in these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Katy made a blog account to follow us :)

    Mandie - you can try one on Saturday

    Katy - I actually plan to try agave nectar next time. I'm not sure it will hold togther well enough, might not be thick enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't wait to make these bars this weekend! love the idea of homemade.

    ReplyDelete